Saturday, August 15, 2009

For the love of God and all things.........


wonderful I could NOT remember my name and/or password to get in here to write my blog post this morning. I'm pretty sure it was another blonde moment, however, I'm going to blame this one on just awakening and still being sleep. Yea, that sounds good. So, what to write about today. I think I'll finish up with McNuggit.

Let's back up a bit to almost 3yrs ago. He has been in the special education program through our school system since turning 3. Last yr he was able to be transferred into a typically developing pre-school and did just great. This year he started Kindergarten and is doing just great. First day of school went basically as expected. He was eager to get back into a routine because he thrives on routine! I wasn't anticipating this being a big emotional ordeal as it was with BigMack because he's been in the school system so long. Wrong! The teacher sent home a poem about his little hands and his little spirit and his little soul and I LOST it. It's so true, he is a lil guy and he's been through so much in his "little" life. He's faced more at the age of 3 than most kids do before 10. He's put on brave faces for tests and therapies and studies when he just wanted to be home lining up his toys and spinning around in circles. He still loves to spin! Put this child on the teacup ride and he is in HEAVEN. Anyway, back to school... yes it was hard because it made me realize even through the years our life that seemed to have stood still, that he was in fact growing up. BigMack grew up during those years too and SmallFryz left toddlerhood behind. All focus was on McNuggit, had to be........ cant explain that unless you've lived it but just know, it had to be. So I pick him up the first day and he's terribly upset that he will be taking a nap soon after going home. I explained we'd eat a snack and he could play a bit then it was nap time. Well, you would have thought that I just killed the child. He informed me that I ruined his whole day! After three kids you get use to hearing this and actually have adjusted to the fact that you ruin someones day, if not everyone's, on a daily basis. Its not earth shattering to me anymore! Flash forward to day two of Kindergarten. We go in the classroom and my son announces to all "I sure hope my mommy doesn't ruin my day today". This will be the theme for the next few days if not weeks! Then Small Fryz chimes in with a high pitched voice as if he's a backup singer..... "Yeah, I hope mommy doesn't ruin his day". Musical talent is so nice to have!

All my children are lil comical entertainers. BigMack will have his pic in the local paper this week after kicking off football season. After they creamed their opponent with a shutout in local Jamboree he proceeded to the other team so he could shake hands with every single player to tell them "good game, God bless and have a safe season". I love that kid!

I want to take a small moment to do some educating on:
Autism..... it's not what you think.
That's what I'm calling this section. Please don't read all the psychological mumbo jumbo put out there about how autistic people are suppose to act. If you really want to be in the know, ask a family. No two autistic personalities are alike. You cant clump them in a group or category. You cant predict the rate of progression or REgression, as we sometimes see. My son use to be one that drooled, sat in the corner chewing on his nails, occasionally banged his head, wouldn't look at you and couldn't speak. He's now a happy, social, interactive animated child. He still retains a lot of those traits from before from time to time and thats ok. That's who he is. But if I can help him overcome the struggles, only then, have I done my job. Whether seemingly disconnected or appearing to social interact both of these describe individuals who can be on the same cognitive level. Surprised? So was I until I met my friend who has a Classic Autism (that means she's on the lower end of the functioning scale), she's wheelchair bound from CP (cerebral palsy), drools, non-verbal, has meltdowns, emotionally immature and is a COLLEGE GRADUATE. We have the most awesome conversations via email. I was so blessed to have met her. She taught me how to deal with Cayden and learn from him as to what his needs are. I've seen other children that once they are in an element that understands they will blossom. Just to touch on this....its a whole other conversation but..... she does NOT believe in a cure as she feels that would change who she is and would be eradicating an entire race of people. Ponder on that for a while! Now, for today that's all I'm going to say. If you come away from this with anything please let it be a new passion for understanding those with limitations and challenges. Check back from time to time and I'll talk more about autism acceptance.

No comments:

Post a Comment